For Patience, because I always love reading her little biographical snippets and feel I should respond in kind:
What were you doing five years ago?
Walking the floor with an infant who would never sleep, who would not be put down, who needed to be held and rocked and talked to incessantly. That would be my beautiful baby Victoria, of course. Both my girls are intense, but Victoria was *really* intense as an infant. The kind of intense that got me using a nanny because there were *no* nap times to get a break, got us in the Spirited Child books, and nearly pushed us over the edge for the first 18 months. Here we are freshly home from the hospital.
What are five things on your To Do List for today?
1. Go to church
2. Take the girls to soccer
3. Go out to dinner between soccer practices
4. Plan meals for the next week
5. Watch Bringing Up Baby
What are five snacks you enjoy
2. Sugar Snap Peas
3. Chewy, chocolate-y granola bars (e.g., candy bars masquerading as snacks)
5. Apples with peanut butter
What are five things you would do if you were a billionaire? [This was a tough one . . . after the first two I really couldn’t think of anything that was really specific.]
1. Establish an artists’ colony so our creative friends could come write or whatever at minimal costs while our kids played together and we ate lovely communal meals and brought in yoga teacher a few days a week and sang songs around a bonfire at night. Preferably in northern Minnesota or Michigan, on the water.
2. Fund the reconstruction of my parish buildings.
3. Spend long vacations in Mexico, India, and the UK. And other places too, now and then.
4. Hire a *fantastic* financial advisor/accountant/tax preparer.
5. Throw big birthday parties for my parents, with The Rolling Stones at my mom’s party and The Who for my dad. Or at least buy their way backstage at a show.
What are five of your bad habits?
1. Leaving half-filled cups around the house
2. Forgetting my cell phone
3. Spending way too much time online
4. Not returning phone calls and e-mails (though often I just ignore the phone completely)
5. Not opening my mail — I guess I really must be communicated with on my own terms, infrequently
Where are five places you have lived?
1. South Dakota
3. New York
What are five jobs you’ve had?
1. Hotel maid
2. Burger flipper
3. College teacher
4. Copy editor
5. Ear piercer